Thursday, June 16, 2011

Rum Cupcakes w/Salted Caramel Buttercream & Toasted Pecans

There was a meeting at work today with people coming in from out of town. PERFECT. Since our catering options through the cafeteria aren't particularly stellar, I offered my services up!

I decided to go with a flavor that was liked recently by all of my co-workers. My Rum Cupcake recipe is a slight tweak on a recipe from my grandmother. I remember liking this bundt cake so much as a kid. So, I got the recipe and just made more home made (ie, not using the box mix).

This is the recipe I got:-)

Cake
1 pkg Duncan Hines white cake mix
1lg instant pudding vanilla
4 eggs
1/2 c water
1/2 c dark rum
mix 1 at a time
grease and flour bundt pan
1/2 cup chopped nuts(walnuts) put on bottom of pan
pour cake batter over nuts
bake at 300 degrees for 1 1/4 hours
flip onto plate




Cake Topping
1/2 lb butter or marg
any questions call grandma.
1 c sugar
1/4 c rum
1/4 c water
bring to boil until foamy
pour over cake.

LOL. I adjusted this a bit to remove the boxed cake mix & replaced it with this cupcake recipe, I kept the pudding in from the original recipe, but used my standard butter cream recipe (obviously) minus one stick of butter and a little special caramel flavoring. 

After the cupcakes cooled, I carefully poured the butter mixture on each one. Then I let them sit over night so the frosting would not slide off due to the buttery goo. Once I frosted these, I topped them with a little toasted pecan (since I didn't put any on the bottom of the cupcake liners - see original recipe for cake) and some black sea salt. And that is it folks. Eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment