Friday, June 17, 2011

Cake Balls 2.0

So, because everyone at worked really seemed to like the Nutella Cake Balls I made the other day, I decided to do it again, but improve the process!

One cake recipe makes about 50-60 of these!
Because I cannot stand those candy-melt-fake-chocolate-crappy-things you find at Michaels or Walmart, I of course use real chocolate. On my first go-around, the ganache I made was good, but a little soft. So, at room temperature, I didn't think the coating of chocolate was hard enough. This time, I used less cream. Seems to have worked!
 
I also thought, since I am not sticking these in something so they stand up, some sprinkles on the bottom would also help keep the gooey balls of goodness from sticking to a serving platter or plate. I just dipped the bottom of the cake ball into sprinkles right after I dipped them in the chocolate. It should add a good crunch, too!

I guess I am kind of a dork, but I LOVE how shiny the chocolate is! Makes me happy!

Anyhow, here is my adjusted ganache recipe.

Ganache 
12 oz chocolate
8 oz heavy cream
                            
Melt chocolate over double boiler
Add cream
Gently whisk until combined
Allow to cool before dipping cake balls

FYI, allow enough time for the ganache coating to set up. You can put them in the fridge or freezer to chill for a few minutes, but if you leave them in there too long, the chocolate coating will crack.

No comments:

Post a Comment