Thursday, August 4, 2011

Macaron challenge!

I have never made French Macarons before. I have always heard they were really tough to make & they were problematic & that it took a lot of practice to get it right. Ummm, not really appealing to me. But, then a couple of my co-workers had some while on a trip - some good & some bad - and suggested I try to make them, too! Of course I was up for the challenge!...


A French Macaron is not like a Coconut Macaroon most people think of. It is basically a meringue made with almond flour mixed in, which creates a batter. You simply pipe the batter into small or large circles on a baking pan, let the macarons dry for about 30 minutes, then bake. Not really as tough as I had heard.
Apparently the tell-tale sign of whether you made them correctly or not is the 'foot' at the bottom of the macaron - which is the ring at the bottom of the cookie that looks like a little pedestal; the non-smooth part. So, I got that...with out really knowing what I did correctly - ha.

Anyhow, they were nice a crisp on the outside & chewy and good on the inside. I filled these vanilla flavored macarons with peanut butter butter cream. Yum.

Next time...giant ones with ice cream in the middle!

No comments:

Post a Comment